Motorboat & Yachting: The Windermere Boat Show runs from July 1-3 at Ferry Nab Marina. Boats from Sealine, Jeanneau, Bénéteau and Bayliner will be on show at the Windermere Boat Show this weekend.
Tipped as the largest show in the north of England it aims to celebrate boating in the Lake District as well as showcasing over 150 new and used boats.
As well the boats there will be taster sessions, guided kayak trips around Belle Isle and stand up paddle boarding available.
Jason Dearden, managing director of Shepherds Marine and Windermere Marina Village, says: “I am absolutely delighted that for the first time Windermere’s boating community will be brought together in one location in what promises to be a great weekend.
“This is an opportunity for anyone to come and experience Windermere and chat to boat brokers and adventure providers about everything from kayaks to 40ft motor cruisers.”
For more information, go to the Shepherds Marine website.
Yachting Boating World: Irishman Fanche Mahe stole the yacht from Saundersfoot in Pembrokeshire and attempted to sail for France because he was “sick of life”, a Welsh court heard.
He only managed to sail the vessel four-and-a-half miles southeast of Saundersfoot harbour before he was intercepted by the police on board the Tenby RNLI Tamar class lifeboat.
The owner of the Summer Lily had seen his yacht’s distinctive red sail heading into the distance when he had arrived at the harbour on the morning of 26 June for a day’s sailing.
He had immediately contacted the police who had requested the assistance of the RNLI.
The 17 foot yacht was towed back to the harbour. It had sustained around £50 worth of damage.
Haverfordwest Magistrates Court heard that Mahe, of County Galway, had initially refused to cooperate with the police officers.
In interview, he told officers his motorbike has broken down and he’d decided to take a boat and go sailing.
Mahe added that he was “sick of life” and wanted to “p**s off and go sailing”.
In Mahe’s defence, the court heard that the 30-year-old had come to Wales to look for work. He had been unsuccessful and after running out of money decided to go sailing.
Magistrates fined Mahe £293 and ordered him to pay court costs of £115 plus £50 compensation to the owner of Summer Lily.
Yachting Boating World: The long awaited expansion of the Panama Canal has now opened. Thousands of people watched the first ship make its inaugural trip along the waterway.
Thousands turned out to see the Cosco Shipping Panama began its eight hour inaugural journey from the Atlantic to the Pacific on 26 June.
The expansion will double the capacity of the Panama Canal.
Speaking at the unveiling, the President of Panama, Juan Carlos said: “This is a great day, a day of national unity and a day for Panama. This is the route that unites the world, the Panama Canal.”
Work on the expansion project to broaden the canal started in 2007 and is reported to have cost US$5.5 billion.
It allows a new generation of larger ships – Neopanamax class vessels – to use the waterway.
It is hoped it will also increase the competitiveness of the shipping route, with liquefied natural gas (LNG) tankers now able to use the Panama Canal for the first time.
Commentators also believe it could change how goods are imported into the United States, one of the most frequent users of the canal.
Some are predicting that business will now be diverted way from Los Angeles and Long Beach – some of the USA’s busiest ports. Instead, more ships are expected to dock on the East and Gulf coasts.
Concern has also been raised about the economic slowdown in China – the second largest customer for the canal.
A drop in oil prices has also impacted on global shipping.
Yachting Boating World: An investigation has now been launched after an abandoned boat was spotted on fire on the River Thames. It later sank close to the Wokingham Waterside Centre.
Thames Valley Police are now investigating the cause of a fire on board a boat which later sank. Officers on a towpath at Cholmeley Road, Reading spotted the burning vessel at around 1.30am on 27 June.
The boat was floating down the river behind the Thames Valley Business Park. Firefighters from the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service were called.
Two fire engines, the specialist appliance from Maidenhead and the water rescue unit and boat responded.
The crew on board the water rescue unit boat tried to reach the vessel to tow it ashore but the boat was so badly damaged that it sank near to the Wokingham Waterside Centre.
The police say that it is not believed that anyone was on board the 15 foot vessel. No one was injured in the incident.
A Thames Valley Police spokesman said: “Thames Valley police officers on a towpath at Cholmley Road, Reading spotted a fire on a 15ft boat (apparently abandoned) floating down the river.”
“Fire service attended and attempted to tow boat to shore but it was so badly damaged that it sank. It is not believed at this stage that anyone was on board at the time,” concluded the spokesman.
A team from the Environment Agency has since attended the scene to ensure the boat wasn’t causing a hazard to navigation.
Yachting Boating World: The marine industry gives its assessment following the decision by the voting public to leave the European Union (EU).
What is clear is that there will be no immediate change to trading arrangements or legislation, or to free movement within the EU.
British Marine, which represents the leisure, superyacht and small commercial marine industry, has always remained neutral on the decision to leave or remain as part of the EU.
The organisation has more than 1,600 different members including Princess Yachts, Berthon and Pendennis Shipyard in Falmouth.
In a statement, the organisation said: “The result of the referendum has shown that the majority of the British public who voted wish to leave and during the forthcoming transition period, British Marine will inform and advise all its members and represent the interests of the industry to Government.”
It continues: “It is important for members to note that there will not be a change to legislation or trading arrangements for at least two years whilst the Government negotiates the withdrawal agreement with the EU.”
“British Marine will continue to ensure our members are informed about the implications for their businesses and will do so in representing industry concerns to Government throughout this transitional period,” the statement concludes.
In April, Superyacht UK, which represents the interests of the industry both at home and internationally, announced growth in the sector.
According to the Superyacht UK survey, the industry grew by more than 10% to £542 million in 2014/15. Out of those surveyed, 48% reported an increase in profits. There was also a 6.9% increase in jobs.
Meanwhile, the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) has said it will continue to lobby European institutions to ensure minimum regulatory interference for boaters.
In a statement following the referendum on 23 June, it said the process to leave the EU will take time.
“The EU treaties will cease to apply to the UK from the date of entry into force of the agreement, or within two years of the notification of the withdrawal. The (European) Council may also decide to extend that period,” said the statement.
“Until such time, in terms of the advice regarding boating abroad on the RYA website, UK residents remain EU residents, the UK remains in the EU for VAT, Customs and Excise purposes and there should be little noticeable difference when sailing between the UK and other EU countries.”
Yachting Boating World: An investigation has found the crew and the firm which owned the Enterprise were all “complacent” about the dangers of working on board.
Jan de Boer, 51, fell overboard on 9 July 2015, through one of the vessel’s ports for shooting fishing nets. He had lost his footing in rough weather.
Jan de Boer was not wearing a lifejacket or other buoyancy aid.
This went against his own rule which required all crew to wear self-inflating lifejackets when working on deck.
The Enterprise was 16 nautical miles north of the Dogger Bank in the North Sea when the accident happened.
A Mayday was not transmitted until approximately 40 minutes after the skipper fell overboard. The crew took between 30 and 40 minutes to recover de Boer. Their subsequent efforts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.
The MAIB report highlighted a number of safety issues.
It found the permanently open shooting ports on the Enterprise did not comply with the bulwark height requirements and presented a hazardous working area for the crew.
The unsafe nature of the shooting ports had also not been recognised by the vessel’s Dutch owner, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) or the crew.
“In common with the rest of the company and the crew, it is apparent that the skipper had become complacent about the dangers of working in the vicinity of the shooting ports,” said the report.
“Safe working procedures, including the wearing of appropriate clothing, footwear and lifejackets were not adhered to and, sadly, the skipper’s decisions in this regard were not challenged by his crew.”
The MAIB also found the onboard risk assessment regarding falling overboard was “inadequate” and that man overboard drills were “inadequate and infrequent”.
“Increased familiarity with the man overboard recovery equipment available on board and frequent man overboard drills would have helped the crew in their efforts to recover the skipper from the sea,” said the MAIB.
There were also no contingency plans for the loss or incapacitation of the skipper.
The report also stated that the vessel’s owner, Ekofish Group, had not reported another man overboard incident that had occurred three weeks earlier.
It had involved the brother of de Boer, who was the skipper of Ekofish’s other vessel, Annegina.
He fell overboard during fishing operations. At the time, the sea conditions were benign
and a crew member jumped into the water and rescued the skipper.
“This incident was not reported to anyone – including the MAIB – and, despite repeated requests by the MAIB, Ekofish has not been forthcoming with any further details about the incident,” said the report.
The statutory crew competency requirements on the Enterprise were also not met.
The trawler was carrying more crew members than was permitted, including the 13-year-old nephew of de Boer.
The MAIB said the MCA had now revised the relevant Merchant Shipping Instructions to Surveyors to ensure that the bulwark height requirements are properly applied to all UK flag fishing vessels.
The MCA has also commenced a targeted campaign to implement these instructions.
The Ekofish Group has been recommended to review its vessels’ risk assessments to ensure that it properly considers the risks of falling overboard and the loss or incapacitation of the skipper while at sea.
It is also being urged to put in place procedures to ensure it complies with the regulatory requirements for the reporting of accidents.
The MAIB has now produced a safety flyer highlighting a number of the issues raised in the investigation.
The flyer highlights the importance of minimising exposure to unfenced openings and adopting safe working practices.
It also demonstrates the importance of wearing lifejackets while working on deck and the benefits of conducting regular emergency drills.
Yachting Boating World: The new Fairline Yachts Targa 53 OPEN will debut at Cannes Boat Show on 6 September 2016.
The cockpit boasts a large three person sun bed over the tender garage, generous ‘U’ shaped cockpit seating with a wet bar opposite and roomy companion seating across from the helm.
Owners can choose between a two or three cabin configuration, according to their needs.
The Targa 53 OPEN offers a choice of three shaft driven engine options: two from Volvo and one from Caterpillar, offering a minimum fully loaded speed in excess of 30 knots and a range of at least 300 nautical miles is expected. There will also be the option to add stabilisation, with a choice of either fin or gyroscopic stabilisers.
Fairline Yachts’ Head of Design Andrew Pope, says, “Owners tell us that entertaining is one of the most important reasons for having a luxury cruiser and the Targa 53 OPEN provides a sense of style, space and comfort like no other. This new model opens up a host of possibilities thanks to its unrivalled comfort, space and flexibility. All our 53ft models have a common platform approach, offering complete flexibility of layout and options to suit each individual customer, which is at the heart of Fairline’s design philosophy.”
The Targa 53 OPEN will debut at the Cannes Boat Show, France on Tuesday 6 September 2016 and it will premiere in the UK at the Southampton Boat Show on Friday 16 September 2016.
Yachting Boating World: The Russian designer, Max Zhivov came up with the MYBO modifiable yacht system while playing with his daughter. He talks to YBW about the concept.
The Max Zhivov designed MYBO is essentially six boats in one. Each can be modified to meet the needs of the owner, whether the vessel is for carrying cargo, for fishing or just to spend time with the family.
The inspiration for the project came to the Russian designer while he was playing with LEGO with his daughter.
“The main idea of this concept is that on the basis of one boat it is possible to make six variants of models for different functional needs,” explains Zhivov.
“Constructive elements of the boat can be changed or moved according customer request. Here you can see the main principle of LEGO where simple elements are (the) basis for imagination development,” he states.
The different modifications to the 15 metre boat are made possible due to a number of interesting design features.
These include an upper wheelhouse made of prefabricated segments which can be moved around the boat, depending on layout.
The two metre by four metre hull openings can also be modified with either Triplex glass and vents, windows or panels with doorways.
“The owner can create a unique design of the boat,” says Zhivov. “Also, if the boat is sold, the next owner will be able to rebuild it for his own needs according to the indicated options.”
The MYBO modifiable yacht system is the latest design from the Russian who focusses on economical and environmentally friendly concepts.
Your Yacht Your Home, known as YYYH-40 m, included special features, such as a pilothouse that can move inside the hull when the yacht is at anchor.
Meanwhile, the 47 metre Sky Ya is a semi-displacement hybrid motor yacht. It combines modern yacht design with the latest solar energy technology.
As well as solar panels, the vessel comes with a unique garden feature, where guests can make the most of a green space even in the middle of the ocean.
Sky Ya also has full height glass windows in the main salon, allowing for breathtaking sea views and plenty of natural light.
It can accommodate a crew of 10 and is projected to have a cruising speed of 18 knots.
Yachting Boating World: Aaron Brown, 33, has appeared in Winchester Crown Court charged with the unlawful killing of Ryan Scott McKinlay, who died in Osborne Bay last year.
Aaron Brown, 33, of Harmsworth Farm, Curbridge, appeared at Winchester Crown Court on 20 June.
McKinlay died on 19 June, 2015 during a boating incident in Osborne Bay, Isle of Wight. The 36-year-old businessman lived in Gosport and left behind a wife and a son.
Brown was granted unconditional bail and the case was adjourned for trial on 10 October.
A Hampshire businessman has appeared in court charged with the unlawful killing of Ryan Scott McKinlay. The 36-year-old died during a boat accident in Osborne Bay, Isle of Wight last year.
Aaron Maurice Brown, 33, of Harmsworth Farm, Curbridge, Hampshire appeared before West Hampshire Magistrates’ Court on 19 May.
He is charged with unlawfully killing Ryan Scott McKinlay on 19 June, 2015, contrary to Common Law. McKinlay, who was from Gosport, left behind a wife and son.
Brown’s case was committed to Winchester Crown Court for trial on 20 June.
24 June, 2015
A 30-year-old man from Southampton has been interviewed under caution by police after a man died following the Osborne Bay collision on June 19.
Hampshire Police questioned the man on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter after the incident between a RIB and a larger motorboat killed Ryan McKinlay on Friday.
The 36-year-old from Gosport was travelling on a small tender when a collision occurred with the yacht that had been carrying the RIB earlier the same day.
Mr McKinlay was seriously injured as a result of the incident and was airlifted to hospital before being pronounced dead later in the evening.
It is believed that there were originally a dozen or so people aboard the motorboat, with the majority being taken ashore by the Cowes and Gosport lifeboats.
Local rescue crews towed the RIB from the scene into Cowes, with the larger motorboat being escorted by a police launch.
In a statement, Hampshire Police said: “The man was not arrested. He is not on bail but may be interviewed pending ongoing enquiries.
“Officers from Hampshire’s Constabulary’s Major Crime team are now leading the investigation into the death of 36-year-old Ryan Scott McKinlay from Gosport.
“Detectives would like to thank all partner agencies and members of the public for their ongoing co-operation and assistance with this investigation.”
A Home Office post-mortem examination was due to be held on Tuesday afternoon, with the results not yet having been released.
Practical Boat Owner: Gosport & Fareham Inshore Rescue Service (GAFIRS) rescuers were called to assist two yachts in distress yesterday after one ran aground and another hit the submarine barrier in The Solent.
The 33ft yacht, with two people on board, was listing at a 45-degree angle after hitting the sand bank in a falling tide.
GAFIRS coxswain Brian Pack said: ‘We sent a crew member to investigate the situation and found the crew of the casualty vessel were safe and well. They were happy to wait for the tide to rise and attempt to refloat themselves.
‘While we were dealing with this situation we were tasked to another emergency after a yacht hit the submarine barrier off Southsea and issued a Mayday distress call.’
Gosport lifeboat was on the scene within minutes and placed a member of crew on the casualty vessel, which had two people on board and had sailed across the Channel from France.
Mr Pack added: ‘The yacht lost steering after hitting the barrier and was in a precarious place. We quickly towed the vessel to safer water and then on to Haslar Marina in Portsmouth Harbour.
Once the French yacht was safely alongside, Gosport lifeboat was making its way back to its Stokes Bay base when UK Coastguard re-tasked the rescuers to the yacht stuck at Ryde.
‘We waited with the casualty vessel for the tide to rise and then when there was enough water we towed them free,’ said Mr Pack.
‘My crew member made sure their engines started and helped them navigate to Portsmouth Harbour. They were very grateful for our assistance.’
In total the two operations lasted more than four hours.