Motorboat & Yachting: The woman who died after a speedboat accident on the Thames last week has been named as Charlotte Brown, 24, of East Finchley.

Motorboat & Yachting: Thames speedboat accident victim named as Charlotte Brown

A 24-year-old woman died last week after a speedboat accident on the Thames, the Metropolitan Police has confirmed.

In a statement, it was revealed that the woman’s name was Charlotte Brown of East Finchley. She was recovered from the Thames near Wandsworth Bridge on Tuesday, December 8 after police were called to the scene following reports of shouts coming from the water.

Chiswick RNLI responded to a Coastguard call at 2352 and after a 20-minute search, Charlotte and a 29-year-old man were both found.

However, despite the best efforts of the local emergency services, she was pronounced dead at St George’s hospital.

A post mortem investigation was carried out on Friday December 11, but proved inconclusive and the coroner has ordered further tests. An inquest is due to be held tomorrow (December 15).

The Metropolitan Police added that the 29-year-old man who survived the speedboat accident has not been arrested, but has been helping police with their inquiries as a “significant witness”.

Charlotte’ sister Katie told the Daily Mail: “We don’t know exactly what happened. If she was wearing a life jacket there is a chance she could still be here today.”

Photos published by the newspaper show that the boat Charlotte was onboard at the time of the accident was an open Fletcher model, powered by a Yamaha outboard engine.

See article at Motorboat & Yachting

 

0

Posted:

Categories: Police case

Yachting Boating World: The 29-year-old went missing while on a night out, and his family want to mount their own search.

Yachting & Boating World: Father of missing Yorkshireman Rory Johnson appeals for help

November 25, 2015: The family of Skipton man Rory Johnson-Hatfield has asked the public for help after Yorkshire police called off their search for the missing 29-year-old.

Rory went missing in the early morning hours of Friday, November 20. His father Doug Hatfield spoke out on the public facebook group ‘Rory Johnson is Missing!’ in an appeal for help in continuing the search of York’s River Ouse, where Rory may have fallen in.

Hatfield wrote: “”The river search for Rory by the police has now ended and we have not yet been informed as to when or if it will be resumed.

“I would like to make an appeal to anybody that has a boat on the river Ouse in York that the family could use in order to resume this part of the search. Thank you in advance.”

Charity organisation York Rescue Boat, which assisted in the police search, has strongly advised against the public making unassisted searches due to high water levels on the River Ouse.

Hatfield’s appeal has met with offers of help, in spite of the warnings, however many posters have expressed concern over the potential dangers of venturing onto the river while it is in flood.

Dave Benson, chairman and director of operations for York Rescue Boat, posted: “While this is an extremely difficult time, I would strongly advise people not to make unassisted searches of the river. Currently the river is at flood levels and even when the river goes down it will still pose many dangers for sometime after.”

He asked for Rory’s family to contact him directly so he could advise how the organisation could offer its assistance and guidance.

He said that the rescue boat, with its trained personnel, would not be deployed for a search during current conditions but would work with the family to carry out surface searches when the floodwaters have receded.

Police released more CCTV images of Johnson-Hatfield this week which show him in Tower Street in York at 00:39 GMT and in the City Mills area at 00:47.

See article at Yachting Boating World

0

Posted:

Categories: Police case

Motorboat & Yachting: Spanish police are searching for a yacht dealer from Liverpool as a suspect in the disappearance 32-year old mother Lisa Brown. Police believe the Scottish woman may have been abducted.

 

Brown was last seen at her home in southern Spain, near Gibraltar, on 4 November.

Brown was first suspected missing when she failed to pick up her eight-year-old son from school in the town of San Roque, where she was living and working.

Spain’s Civil Guard police force, which is investigating the case, believes Brown may have been abducted by her boyfriend, Simon Corner, and taken to sea. Corner has also reportedly disappeared, and has not been seen at the marinas he regularly visited in his yacht.

Brown’s home has been sealed off and searched for clues and DNA samples. Dogs and divers have searched the area and the Guadiaro River near Brown’s home and found no trace, and the Civil Guard has enlisted the help of the Royal Gibraltar Police in their search for the missing couple.

Brown’s parents have travelled to Spain, and Brown’s former partner, Tony Tomillero, is looking after their child.

Brown is understood to have lived in Dumbarton, Scotland, before moving to Spain.

The Foreign Office has confirmed that it is liaising with local authorities and providing assistance to the family of a missing British national.

See article at Motorboat & Yachting

0

Posted:

Categories: Police case

Motorboat & Yachting: The trial of Matthew Eteson has come to an end with the jury finding him guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence in connection to two deaths on Windermere.

A qualified gas fitter who modified his boat’s generator has been found guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence.

Matthew Eteson, 42 from Hale, Cheshire, appeared in Preston Crown Court as part of the two-and-a-half week Windermere boat deaths trial, but declined to give evidence due to his “mental condition”.

After the jury returned their unanimous verdict on Monday (November 26), the court was adjourned until November 13, when Mr Eteson will be sentenced.

The boatowner was holidaying in the Lake District with his partner Kelly Webster, 36, and her daughter Lauren Thornton, 10, over the Easter Bank holiday weekend in April 2013.

The group returned to their Bayliner 285 (pictured above) following a fish and chip lunch to take a nap and were poisoned by carbon monoxide fumes after Mr Eteson’s modified generator failed.

The court heard that he had soldered an “elbow joint” to fit a silencer to the generator’s copper exhaust pipe, but this failed when the system heated up.

Gas permeated the boat’s bulkhead and filled the aft cabin where Lauren and Kelly were sleeping, and the emergency services were unable to resuscitate them. Matthew was able to escape as he was sleeping in the forecabin.

The court also heard how the boat was moored on a swinging mooring and as such was unable to power its heating system from 240V mains electrics.

See article at Motorboat & Yachting

0

Posted:

Categories: Police case

Yachting & Boating World: Sailor Roger Pratt was murdered onboard his yacht in St Lucia earlier this year. The widow of yachtsman Roger Pratt is concerned she could have to wait up to five years before the four men accused of his murder go on trial.

Yachting & Boating World: Widow of murdered yachtsman concerned she could wait up to five years for justice

In an interview with the Telegraph, Margaret Pratt, 60, describes how she’s become increasingly frustrated with the “delays in the judicial process” in St Lucia, despite an “impressive” response to the case initially.

Mrs Pratt and her 62-year-old husband had been moored in the commercial port of Vieux Fort when intruders attacked them on board their 41ft yacht Magnetic Attraction in January.

Mr Pratt died trying to defend his wife and Mrs Pratt was later treated in hospital for cuts and bruises following the incident. Speaking earlier this week, she said: “Initially it was very impressive, the Royal St Lucia Police really put a lot of effort into getting evidence and preparing the case.

“More recently I’ve become increasingly frustrated by the slowness’s in the judicial process and the delays in the judicial process. I’m now concerned that it may be four or five years before this case comes to court.”

In a statement, the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) denied that the legal process had “stalled” but did admit that they were dealing with a “backlog” of cases.

“While I understand Mrs Pratt’s frustration, one has to get an understanding of how the criminal justice system works and take into account the available resources,” they said. “The office of the DPP has the responsibility to prosecute criminal cases before the courts. Currently there is a total of over 2,000 cases in the high court and these cases are dealt with according to antiquity.

“The fact is that the criminal justice system does not have the resources (judges, prosecutors, physical resources and support services) to handle this volume of cases expeditiously and so there is a backlog.”

Since the death of Mr Pratt in January, the four men charged with his murder have appeared in court for a number of pretrial hearings and are due to attend a hearing today (31 October) regarding robbery charges.

The defendants were committed for trial over the murder charges on 17 October and the matter was adjourned to 6 February 2015 for the crown to report on the indictment.
A trial date is yet to be set.

See article at Yachting & Boating World – Click here

0

Posted:

Categories: Police case

Yachting & Boating World: An Australian gang member from th Brothers 4 Life was shot onboard a luxury yacht late on New Year’s Day after gunfire broke out near Sydney.

The 31-year-old was found at Bondi Beach with a gunshot wound to his shoulder at around 11.30pm on Wednesday but is refusing to cooperate with police investigating the incident.

A report by ABC News states that the 32m luxury yacht Oscar II was sprayed with bullets as it arrived at Rose Bay in east Sydney.

The gang member, who cannot be identified due to a court order, was taken to hospital but discharged himself soon after.

Local police said at least 10 shots were fired at the luxury yacht and bullet holes could be seen in a number of windows on the boat’s port side.

The cruiser, which can be hired for more than $2,000 an hour, has been seized and taken for further analysis.

See article at Yachting & Boating World

0

Posted:

Categories: Police case

Contact Us

Tel: +44 (0)20 7929 4058
Fax: +44 (0)20 7933 9350
Click here to email us

Velos Insurance Services Limited
52-54 Gracechurch Street
London, EC3V 0EH
View map

Connect with us


Latest News

British sailor Elliot Willis is fundraising for cancer charity

Practical Boat Owner: British Sailing Team sailor Elliot Willis is cycling 250 miles this September for The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity: ‘Because they got me to this point where I feel I can do it.’   The Team GB

September 16, 2016 read more