Pratical Boat Owner: A family of six were rescued from a yacht which became adrift in rough weather and ran aground off the Pembrokeshire coast. Angle RNLI lifeboat crew launched at 12.47am last Friday, 2 April, following a Mayday call from the 11-metre yacht.
The All Weather Lifebat (ALB) was unable to get close enough due to the shallow water so the Y Boat was launched and maneuvered alongside the yacht in up to 2.4 metre breaking swell to evacuate the two adults and four children on board.
After several attempts, and often being swamped by the waves, the Y Boat made four successful transfers of the casualties onto the ALB.
The casualties, who were ‘wet, cold and shaken by their ordeal’, were taken to Milford Haven Port Authority (MHPA) Jetty where they were helped by awaiting auxiliary coastguards.
With the yacht’s crew safe ashore the ALB went back to the scene, with the skipper on board, to liaise with the inshore lifeboat (ILB) in an attempt to tow the yacht to safety but due to the sea conditions no attempt was made.
The ILB returned to station whilst the ALB landed the skipper ashore at the MHPA before returning to station at 2.47am.
Yachting & Boating World: Coastguard Simon Bale was awarded qith a Royal Humane Society award for his life saving efforts after performing successful CPR on a baby boy and saving the life of six-month-old Sam Cooper-Stevens.
On 27 January 2013, Simon and the Watchet Coastguard were called to the scene where a strong gust of wind had blown a baby’s pram into the water at Watchet Harbour.
Luckily former Coastguard George Reeder was nearby and jumped in, rescuing the baby.
It then became apparent Sam needed urgent medical attention, so Mr Bale performed CPR until the ambulance arrived. Sam has since fully recovered.
The award was presented by the High Sheriff of Somerset Richard Lloyd and acknowledges acts of bravery in the saving of human life and for effecting successful resuscitations
On receiving the award Mr Bale said: “I would first of all like to praise the actions of all those involved in this rescue, including George who selflessly jumped in the water to get the baby boy, Tania who started CPR, the rest of the Watchet Coastguard Rescue Team and the attending fire and rescue officers from Williton who were all doing their part at the scene.”
“I’m honoured to be given this award and I accept it on behalf of all of those involved from the local community who worked together to help baby Sam. I’m so pleased that this rescue had a happy ending.”
Pratical Boat Owner: A sailing couple who had been reported missing in the Caribbean, are safe and well in St Lucia, the family have said. Sharon Went Alleyne and Arthur Alleyne are now ‘on land’ in St Lucia.
Arthur Alleyne and his wife Sharon Went Alleyne, left their home in St Lucia on 25 October for a routine sail to Barbados, but disappeared, raising fears they had been caught in a storm. Search attempts by marine authorities in Martinique, St Lucia and Barbados were unsuccessful.
The couple’s children had appealed for anyone in the surrounding islands with access to boats, light aircraft or helicopters to join in the search as the yacht might have been drifting. Arther Alleyne’s daughter Arianne Moore contacted the Barbados newspaper the Nation, to say all was well; She had spoken to her father Arthur Alleyne and the pair were ‘on land’ in Soufriere, St Lucia.
Arianne told the Nation: ‘I don’t know the whole story… He just said that the mast is all ripped up, the sails are shredded, the engines gone, but they are alive. ‘He just said ‘We are alive. Your father is not going to die like that, girl’.
Daughter Tao Alleyne used the social networking site Facebook to praise all those who had joined in the search or helped to spread the word. She said: ‘My siblings and I would just like to express how grateful we are to everyone who helped us during these past few days in the search for our parents!
‘Whether you were part of the search and rescue, someone who was passing along the relevant information to different authorities, someone who was sharing the news via media for us or even just someone who was praying for us and our family – we thank you.
‘We are overwhelmed by the love and support from friends and strangers alike and couldn’t have made it through without all of your help! We are so pleased to be able to announce that they have been found safe and well!
‘We have no details as of yet; I’m sure it will be an epic tale though! Once again thank you so much everyone!’
Motorboat & Yachting: Australian media magnate Kerry Stokes’ 36-metre luxury motoryacht was targeted by three pirates armed with bush knives while moored in Papua New Guinea.
The group boarded Antipodean, a 38-metre Oceanfast superyacht, armed with long bush knives and proceeded to steal diving equipment and food, ABC Australia reports. They made their escape in a separate boat, following a confrontation with the crew. Mr Stokes and his family were not on board at the time.
Sir Peter Barter, former governor of local resort town of Padang, told the media provider: “They did not want to make an issue over this incident, but we insisted that a report was made to police. Regretfully, this incident is already known around Cairns and will deter motor yachts and tourists from visiting Madang and Papua New Guinea.”
Mr Stokes owns Australia’s Seven Network and his personal fortune is estimated at £868million. His current superyacht Antipodean was built by Western Australian yard Oceanfast in 1987.
Yachting & Boating World: Two fisherman died after trying to warm their fishing boat with a gas grill. Report confirms carbon monoxide poisoning killed two men in North Yorkshire.
An investigation into the deaths of two fishermen has concluded that they died from carbon monoxide poisoning after trying to heat their cabin with a gas cooker. The report also found that no carbon monoxide alarm was fitted on their vessel.
Edward Ide, 21, and Mark Arries, 26, were found dead on board their scallop-dredger Eshcol in North Yorkshire on the morning of 15 January.
Crewman from another fishing vessel discovered the men after forcing open the wheelhouse door when they failed to respond. The gas grill was still lit and the wheelhouse was full of fumes.
It appears that the pair had been cold and wet and had left the grill on in order to warm the wheelhouse and sleeping area because the heaters on board did not work.
The Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) also found a number of other contributing factors: “The metal gauze in the grill was holed and corroded, causing extraordinarily high levels of CO emissions.
“The cooker was four years old and had probably never been serviced. The wheelhouse doors and windows were closed and the sleeping area had no other means of ventilation.
“Neither the guidance for the installation of gas appliances on board the small fishing vessels nor the cooker manufacturer’s instructions had been followed when the cooker was fitted.”
The MAIB has made several recommendations to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency to ensure that accommodation areas on such vessels are fitted with carbon monoxide alarms.
They have also made recommendations to the Sea Fish Industry Authority to raise general awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide.
Both men had been fishermen since leaving school and had completed training on fire and safety.