Yachting Boating World: The new Fairline Yachts Targa 53 OPEN will debut at Cannes Boat Show on 6 September 2016.
The cockpit boasts a large three person sun bed over the tender garage, generous ‘U’ shaped cockpit seating with a wet bar opposite and roomy companion seating across from the helm.
Owners can choose between a two or three cabin configuration, according to their needs.
The Targa 53 OPEN offers a choice of three shaft driven engine options: two from Volvo and one from Caterpillar, offering a minimum fully loaded speed in excess of 30 knots and a range of at least 300 nautical miles is expected. There will also be the option to add stabilisation, with a choice of either fin or gyroscopic stabilisers.
Fairline Yachts’ Head of Design Andrew Pope, says, “Owners tell us that entertaining is one of the most important reasons for having a luxury cruiser and the Targa 53 OPEN provides a sense of style, space and comfort like no other. This new model opens up a host of possibilities thanks to its unrivalled comfort, space and flexibility. All our 53ft models have a common platform approach, offering complete flexibility of layout and options to suit each individual customer, which is at the heart of Fairline’s design philosophy.”
The Targa 53 OPEN will debut at the Cannes Boat Show, France on Tuesday 6 September 2016 and it will premiere in the UK at the Southampton Boat Show on Friday 16 September 2016.
Yachting Boating World: The Russian designer, Max Zhivov came up with the MYBO modifiable yacht system while playing with his daughter. He talks to YBW about the concept.
The Max Zhivov designed MYBO is essentially six boats in one. Each can be modified to meet the needs of the owner, whether the vessel is for carrying cargo, for fishing or just to spend time with the family.
The inspiration for the project came to the Russian designer while he was playing with LEGO with his daughter.
“The main idea of this concept is that on the basis of one boat it is possible to make six variants of models for different functional needs,” explains Zhivov.
“Constructive elements of the boat can be changed or moved according customer request. Here you can see the main principle of LEGO where simple elements are (the) basis for imagination development,” he states.
The different modifications to the 15 metre boat are made possible due to a number of interesting design features.
These include an upper wheelhouse made of prefabricated segments which can be moved around the boat, depending on layout.
The two metre by four metre hull openings can also be modified with either Triplex glass and vents, windows or panels with doorways.
“The owner can create a unique design of the boat,” says Zhivov. “Also, if the boat is sold, the next owner will be able to rebuild it for his own needs according to the indicated options.”
The MYBO modifiable yacht system is the latest design from the Russian who focusses on economical and environmentally friendly concepts.
Your Yacht Your Home, known as YYYH-40 m, included special features, such as a pilothouse that can move inside the hull when the yacht is at anchor.
Meanwhile, the 47 metre Sky Ya is a semi-displacement hybrid motor yacht. It combines modern yacht design with the latest solar energy technology.
As well as solar panels, the vessel comes with a unique garden feature, where guests can make the most of a green space even in the middle of the ocean.
Sky Ya also has full height glass windows in the main salon, allowing for breathtaking sea views and plenty of natural light.
It can accommodate a crew of 10 and is projected to have a cruising speed of 18 knots.
Yachting Boating World: Aaron Brown, 33, has appeared in Winchester Crown Court charged with the unlawful killing of Ryan Scott McKinlay, who died in Osborne Bay last year.
Aaron Brown, 33, of Harmsworth Farm, Curbridge, appeared at Winchester Crown Court on 20 June.
McKinlay died on 19 June, 2015 during a boating incident in Osborne Bay, Isle of Wight. The 36-year-old businessman lived in Gosport and left behind a wife and a son.
Brown was granted unconditional bail and the case was adjourned for trial on 10 October.
A Hampshire businessman has appeared in court charged with the unlawful killing of Ryan Scott McKinlay. The 36-year-old died during a boat accident in Osborne Bay, Isle of Wight last year.
Aaron Maurice Brown, 33, of Harmsworth Farm, Curbridge, Hampshire appeared before West Hampshire Magistrates’ Court on 19 May.
He is charged with unlawfully killing Ryan Scott McKinlay on 19 June, 2015, contrary to Common Law. McKinlay, who was from Gosport, left behind a wife and son.
Brown’s case was committed to Winchester Crown Court for trial on 20 June.
24 June, 2015
A 30-year-old man from Southampton has been interviewed under caution by police after a man died following the Osborne Bay collision on June 19.
Hampshire Police questioned the man on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter after the incident between a RIB and a larger motorboat killed Ryan McKinlay on Friday.
The 36-year-old from Gosport was travelling on a small tender when a collision occurred with the yacht that had been carrying the RIB earlier the same day.
Mr McKinlay was seriously injured as a result of the incident and was airlifted to hospital before being pronounced dead later in the evening.
It is believed that there were originally a dozen or so people aboard the motorboat, with the majority being taken ashore by the Cowes and Gosport lifeboats.
Local rescue crews towed the RIB from the scene into Cowes, with the larger motorboat being escorted by a police launch.
In a statement, Hampshire Police said: “The man was not arrested. He is not on bail but may be interviewed pending ongoing enquiries.
“Officers from Hampshire’s Constabulary’s Major Crime team are now leading the investigation into the death of 36-year-old Ryan Scott McKinlay from Gosport.
“Detectives would like to thank all partner agencies and members of the public for their ongoing co-operation and assistance with this investigation.”
A Home Office post-mortem examination was due to be held on Tuesday afternoon, with the results not yet having been released.
Practical Boat Owner: Gosport & Fareham Inshore Rescue Service (GAFIRS) rescuers were called to assist two yachts in distress yesterday after one ran aground and another hit the submarine barrier in The Solent.
The 33ft yacht, with two people on board, was listing at a 45-degree angle after hitting the sand bank in a falling tide.
GAFIRS coxswain Brian Pack said: ‘We sent a crew member to investigate the situation and found the crew of the casualty vessel were safe and well. They were happy to wait for the tide to rise and attempt to refloat themselves.
‘While we were dealing with this situation we were tasked to another emergency after a yacht hit the submarine barrier off Southsea and issued a Mayday distress call.’
Gosport lifeboat was on the scene within minutes and placed a member of crew on the casualty vessel, which had two people on board and had sailed across the Channel from France.
Mr Pack added: ‘The yacht lost steering after hitting the barrier and was in a precarious place. We quickly towed the vessel to safer water and then on to Haslar Marina in Portsmouth Harbour.
Once the French yacht was safely alongside, Gosport lifeboat was making its way back to its Stokes Bay base when UK Coastguard re-tasked the rescuers to the yacht stuck at Ryde.
‘We waited with the casualty vessel for the tide to rise and then when there was enough water we towed them free,’ said Mr Pack.
‘My crew member made sure their engines started and helped them navigate to Portsmouth Harbour. They were very grateful for our assistance.’
In total the two operations lasted more than four hours.
Practical Boat Owner: A single-handed French sailor was rescued six miles off the Wicklow coast after making a distress call.
Wicklow RNLI all-weather lifeboat launched at 2.30pm yesterday after the Coast Guard received a marine VHF radio distress signal from a yacht
The lifeboat was alongside the casualty thirty minutes after launching. Rescue 116, the Coast Guard helicopter was also tasked to the incident. The helicopter remained overhead while lifeboat volunteer Ciaran Doyle was transferred onto the yacht, to assist the sailor with hauling an anchor and preparing a towline.
Weather conditions at the time were sea state rough with southerly wind force 5/6. Visibility was good.
With a towline established the ten metre yacht was taken back to Wicklow harbour. Due to the conditions at the time, the journey took more than 90 minutes as the line parted on three occasions.
The yacht was safely alongside the south quay by 5pm.Wicklow RNLI Lifeboat spokesman Tommy Dover said. ‘Our Coxswain Nick Keogh displayed great boat handling skills this afternoon in challenging conditions, while safely transferring a crewmember onto the yacht to assist the lone sailor.’
This was the second callout over the weekend. On Saturday morning during the Round Ireland Yacht Race, Wicklow RNLI Helm Vinnie Mulvihill was busy preparing the inshore lifeboat for exercise. He heard a person on the East pier shouting that someone was in the water.
Quick thinking Vinnie left the boat and entered the water to assist the women after she slipped and fell in while going ashore from a moored boat.
Vinnie brought the women alongside a nearby boat and with the help of the occupants; she was taken out of the water. The woman was brought to the lifeboat station and assessed by first aider Carol Flahive.
No further medical assistance was required. She left the station none the worse from her ordeal after a cup of tea and changing into dry clothes.
Yachting Boating World: The Marine Accident Investigation Branch has found that “poor bridge team management and navigational practices” contributed to the grounding of the Hamburg cruise ship.
The vessel was trying to enter Tobermory Bay when the accident happened. No-one was injured, but the Hamburg needed three months in dry docks for repairs.
The investigation by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) found that having been unable to enter Tobermory Bay on arrival, the Hamburg’s passage plan was not re-evaluated or amended.
“Combined with poor bridge team management and navigational practices, this resulted in the vessel running into danger and grounding,” said the MAIB report.
The Hamburg could not enter Tobermory Bay as there were already two other cruise liners. The investigation also found irregularities in the crew’s response to the accident.
“Despite the loud noise and vibration resulting from the grounding, the bridge
team did not initiate the post-grounding checklist, no musters were held and neither the
vessel’s managers nor any shore authorities were notified of the accident,” stated the report.
Despite no “appropriate post-grounding actions” being taken, the Hamburg proceeded to Tobermory Bay. Here, an “ill-considered and poorly executed attempt” was made to anchor the cruise ship.
This was before a full assessment of the damage had been conducted and before “any of the port, coastal state or company” had been informed of the accident.
“This (attempt to anchor) had to be aborted to avoid a second grounding when Hamburg dragged its anchor,” said the report.
The passenger vessel was then taken back out to the open sea with unknown damage to its structure. It diverted to Belfast where a dive survey revealed the extent of the damage.
This included a cropped port propeller and damage to the hull plating on the port side and the bottom of the cruise ship.
The MAIB found the decision to sail for Belfast “without first developing a plan with the vessel’s senior officers, technical managers and the relevant authorities ashore” was “inappropriate and incurred additional unnecessary risks”.
The report also stated that the 58-year-old master of the Hamburg, Captain Joao Manuel Fernandes Simoes “did not demand a high standard of navigational practices from his officers which resulted in a weak practices amongst the bridge team”.
Simoes was subsequently prosecuted by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency for the failure of passage plan under SOLAS and failure to report an accident contrary to the Merchant Shipping (Accident Reporting and Investigation) Regulations 2012.
He pleaded guilty and was fined a total of £813.
The operators of the Bahamas-registered Hamburg, V-Ships, conducted its own investigation into the groundings. As a result, it has increased training and reviewed its navigational practices, emergency contingency plan grounding checklist and passage planning.
The MAIB noted that all parties to the incident had taken appropriate action, and it did not need to make any recommendations.
Yachting Boating World: The couple remain in a stable condition in hospital after their yacht hit power lines on the Isle of Harris, Western Isles in Scotland.
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) received a call just after 3pm on 12 June from the Scottish Ambulance Service requiring assistance.
Coastguard shore teams from Tarbert and Scalpay responded, helping paramedics in getting one of the casualities from the yacht into an ambulance.
The couple were taken to the Western Isles Hospital in Stornoway, Lewis, where they are said to be in a stable condition.
A spokesman for the MCA said the yacht was between two power cables.
Engineers from Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution were called in to remove the mast and make the area safe.
A spokesman for the electric company said: “Our engineers attended Ardhasaig, where the mast of a yacht had struck our overhead line. The boat was being moved with its mast fully erect and struck the line.”
He added: “Industry regulations state that the minimum height of power lines should be 5.8 metres across roads and paths, the line that was struck was 7.3 metres from the ground. In order for our engineers to extricate the mast from the line, the power was turned off for approximately one hour.”
Practical Boat Owner: One yachtsman was killed, another lost overboard and three rescued from the 65ft yacht Platino, in extreme conditions off the coast of New Zealand.
Yesterday, the Rescue Coordination Centre NZ (RCCNZ) was alerted at 11.20am that one man had been killed and another man knocked overboard from the 20m Platino, which sustained serious rigging damage in winds of up to 75km/h (40 knots).
Sea conditions were described as ‘extremely dangerous’ and ‘too hazardous to be on deck’. The search area is out of range to all but fixed wing aircraft.
A search by the Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) got under way yesterday for the missing crewman, aged 63, who is believed to have been swept overboard after being hit by the boom in high winds, which later caused the yacht’s rigging to collapse before midday yesterday.
The body of the man who died remained on board – as his fellow crew tried to secure the rigging and the mast that was drifting alongside the yacht.
The RCCNZ kept in contact with the three remaining crew overnight via satellite phone.
The container ship Southern Lily re-routed and a rescue line was used to help get the trio safely on board around 3pm today.
Meanwhile, an RNZAF P3 Orion resumed searching today for the missing sailor.
The aircraft subsequently took position above the two vessels later this morning, to provide support and communications during the rescue of the three crew from Platino.
Practical Boat Owner: A solo sailor called for RNLI assistance twice in 24 hours after his yacht became grounded on the rocks and when he managed to refloat, a damaged propeller left him drifting helplessly towards Yarmouth Pier.
The single-handed skipper, had run aground on Hamstead Ledge rocks in the western Solent during Friday afternoon.
As the tide dropped, the yacht heeled over steeply with the result that the skipper could not deploy his anchor in preparation for refloating.
He called for assistance at 6.30pm and the lifeboat went to his aid. The small rigid inflatable Y boat (RIB) was launched and deployed the anchor for him. It was estimated that he would refloat around 1.30am.
At 3.30am on Saturday morning, the lifeboat was called again to Wallybird II.
Although the skipper had managed to pull himself clear of the rocks as his yacht floated, it was only then that he discovered that his propeller had been damaged and he was unable to manoeuvre.
There was little or no wind so he was also unable to sail and was drifting helplessly towards Yarmouth Pier. The lifeboat reached him just before 4am and took him in tow into Yarmouth where he arrived safely at 4.30am.
Yachting Boating World: The 2016 Southampton Boat Show returns in September with world and UK launches, new brands and a new layout. Tickets are now on sale.
The 10-day event will showcase thousands of boats, brands and equipment and will feature the very latest world launches from powerboats to sail.
Confirmed for a world launch at the show are the Oyster 675, the Greenline 36, the Spirit 47CR, the Cormate Utility 23 R and the X4 and X6 from X-Yachts.
The Antares 7 and Antares 8, Atlantis 43, Azimut 55S, Elling E6 from Q Marine (Poole), J/11S from Key Yachting, the Dehler 34, Fairline Yachts’ Targa 53 OPEN and its Squadron 65 HardTop and Charles Watson’s RM 1270 will have UK debuts.
New brands already confirmed for this year’s show include Cormate and Waterspoor.
Following unprecedented demand from exhibitors for undercover space, a new show layout will also be revealed for 2016.
Ocean Hall and Windward Hall will be merged with an additional 550 square metres of space added to create a new look Ocean Hall for 2016.
Enhancements to the layout will also see Beneteau and Jeanneau move from their historical space on the land to a much bigger display on the marina.
In total, Beneteau will be bringing 19 boats and Jeanneau 22 boats across their sail and power ranges.
Also exhibiting for the first time will be Monte Carlo Yachts who will be showcasing the MCY 65.
There will also be plenty of opportunities for visitors to get out on the water and experience dinghy sailing, power boating or taking a ride on a RIB.
These free attractions include:
- On the Water’s “Get Afloat”, supported by the team at Rockley: a tailor made attraction offering visitors aged 8-16 the chance to discover dinghy sailing and Stand up Paddleboarding (SUP);
- “Try-a-Boat” sessions from On the Water to allow visitors to experience being out on the water on a varied selection of vessels;
- “Wet Wheels”, a 9m Cheetah Catamaran that has been specially adapted for wheelchair access. Powered by two of Suzuki’s flagship V6 300hp outboard engines, it is capable of driving at 40 knots;
- The magnificent Artemis tall ship will be taking centre stage on the marina, with visitors being able to climb aboard.
Other attractions will include:
- Bumper Boats in the arena for the younger visitors;
- A number of spectacular air display’s over the marina;
- A festival stage in Solent Park with live music, talks from industry experts and fashion shows across the 10-day event;
- The Global Challenge Sailing Experience on a 72ft round the world ocean race yacht;
- The VIP Platinum Experience which includes a trip out on a luxury motor yacht.