A yacht was destroyed by fire after catching alight in County Down, Northern Ireland early yesterday morning. The fierce fire engulfed a 40ft two-masted glass fibre yacht near Rostrevor Pier.
The owner had been contacted and confirmed there were two gas cylinders aboard the yacht but no people.
The Kilkeel lifeboat Frank William Walton was launched at 2.20am and quickly reached the stricken yacht which very quickly was ablaze from bow to stern.
One of the propane gas cylinders had already exploded so the lifeboat with, four fire-fighters from Warrenpoint and a mobile fire fighting pump aboard, stood off at a safe distance.
When the fire had somewhat subsided the lifeboat returned to the yacht and the flames were extinguished.
The lifeboat left the firefighters and the pump ashore at Warrenpoint and returned safely to the boathouse in Kilkeel at 6.45am.
Helm Gerry Smyth said: ‘It was vital that the lifeboat crew, the firefighters and the lifeboat were kept out of danger whilst there was the possibility of the gas cylinders exploding.
‘The yacht was extensively damaged and still afloat when we left the scene but importantly no lives were lost.’
Yachting & Boating World: Two fisherman died after trying to warm their fishing boat with a gas grill. Report confirms carbon monoxide poisoning killed two men in North Yorkshire.
An investigation into the deaths of two fishermen has concluded that they died from carbon monoxide poisoning after trying to heat their cabin with a gas cooker. The report also found that no carbon monoxide alarm was fitted on their vessel.
Edward Ide, 21, and Mark Arries, 26, were found dead on board their scallop-dredger Eshcol in North Yorkshire on the morning of 15 January.
Crewman from another fishing vessel discovered the men after forcing open the wheelhouse door when they failed to respond. The gas grill was still lit and the wheelhouse was full of fumes.
It appears that the pair had been cold and wet and had left the grill on in order to warm the wheelhouse and sleeping area because the heaters on board did not work.
The Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) also found a number of other contributing factors: “The metal gauze in the grill was holed and corroded, causing extraordinarily high levels of CO emissions.
“The cooker was four years old and had probably never been serviced. The wheelhouse doors and windows were closed and the sleeping area had no other means of ventilation.
“Neither the guidance for the installation of gas appliances on board the small fishing vessels nor the cooker manufacturer’s instructions had been followed when the cooker was fitted.”
The MAIB has made several recommendations to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency to ensure that accommodation areas on such vessels are fitted with carbon monoxide alarms.
They have also made recommendations to the Sea Fish Industry Authority to raise general awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide.
Both men had been fishermen since leaving school and had completed training on fire and safety.
A 27ft yacht had to rescued on Saturday afternoon after it ran aground on Black Rock at the entrance of Falmouth Harbour.
A Pan Pan broadcast reported that Shinner and its six crew had run aground just after 1pm. The vessel had been sailing too close to a reef when it got into difficulty and had to be rescued by volunteers from the RNLI.
One at the scene, a tow line was passed to the yacht and a member of the rescue team boarded the boat in order to assist with its recovery.
An RNLI spokesperson said: “The yacht was pulled clear of the rocks at 1.22pm. Once it was confirmed that there was no water ingress and that the yacht’s engine was operating correctly, the tow was dropped and the all weather lifeboat was released to return to its station, while the inshore lifeboat escorted the yacht back into the inner harbour.”
None of the crew were hurt as a result of the incident.
Read full article at Yachting & Boating World – click here
A 15 year old teenage girl had a ‘lucky’ escape today after she became trapped underwater during a flyboarding demonstration on Conwy River.
The incident occurred on the final day of the All Wales Boat Show, where the demonstrations were part of a celebration of all water sports.
A Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) spokesman said the 15-year-old girl had become trapped underwater between a personal watercraft, a buoy and the flyboard. She had been underwater in excess of five minutes.
The RNLI inshore lifeboat from Conwy was launched at 12.05pm. On arrival at the scene the lifeboat crew found that the casualty had been taken ashore and was being given first aid by the British Red Cross.
The lifeboat crew assisted the first aid team. A doctor who was in the vicinity gave the casualty CPR and was able to bring her round after approximately 45 minutes.
Due to the nature of the incident, 22 Squadron Air Sea Rescue mobilised a Sea King helicopter and conveyed the casualty to Ysbyty Gwynedd at Bangor.
A Conwy Quays Marina spokesman said the girl was ‘recovering well’.
He said: ‘She’s now sat up in bed and talking, and doesn’t seem to be any worse for wear.
‘There had been some concern about potential damage to her lungs but that’s no longer thought to be a problem.
‘She’s been very lucky.’
Aside from today’s rescue drama, the three-day All Wales Boat Show exceeded organisers’ expectations – attracting greater crowds than last year’s inaugural relaunched event.
Many Twitter users reported having a ‘fab time’ and ‘awesome displays’ using the hashtag allwalesboatshow.
The marina spokesman added: ‘We’ve exceeded expectations set by last year.’