Yachting & Boating World: A father and son had a lucky escape on Saturday following a freak engine accident that saw them thrown into the sea and circled by their vessel.
Their fishing boat’s engine had broken down and the pair were attempting to fix it when it restarted in gear and was set to full speed. The men were immediately thrown into the water and the fishing boat continued to circle out of control around them for 40 minutes.
The vessel only came to a stop when it ran out of fuel and the younger man was able to climb back on board and send out a Mayday distress call.
Meanwhile, his father had been carried nearly a quarter of a mile from the boat by the tide. Volunteer crewman Cameron Bond who responded to the distress call, said: “When we pulled the man from the sea he was shaking violently and couldn’t speak.”I knew from my RNLI training that I had to get the guy back to the beach as fast as I could so the crew from the lifeboat station could give him first aid.”
Both men were taken ashore and then transferred to the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough by ambulance. The Redcar lifeboat later returned to the scene to tow the fishing boat back to land, where volunteers put the boat on its trailer.Redcar RNLI’s Dave Cocks, said: “The two men have had an extremely lucky escape.
There have been some tragic accidents involving boats when people are thrown into the sea and the boat’s engine keeps going.”It was extremely fortunate that one of our own lifeboat crew members was at sea fishing when the Mayday went out.
He was quickly on scene to rescue the man from the water; otherwise it could have been tragic.”Both men really owe a lot to the RNLI’s training on this occasion.”
Yachting & Boating World: Two fisherman died after trying to warm their fishing boat with a gas grill. Report confirms carbon monoxide poisoning killed two men in North Yorkshire.
An investigation into the deaths of two fishermen has concluded that they died from carbon monoxide poisoning after trying to heat their cabin with a gas cooker. The report also found that no carbon monoxide alarm was fitted on their vessel.
Edward Ide, 21, and Mark Arries, 26, were found dead on board their scallop-dredger Eshcol in North Yorkshire on the morning of 15 January.
Crewman from another fishing vessel discovered the men after forcing open the wheelhouse door when they failed to respond. The gas grill was still lit and the wheelhouse was full of fumes.
It appears that the pair had been cold and wet and had left the grill on in order to warm the wheelhouse and sleeping area because the heaters on board did not work.
The Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) also found a number of other contributing factors: “The metal gauze in the grill was holed and corroded, causing extraordinarily high levels of CO emissions.
“The cooker was four years old and had probably never been serviced. The wheelhouse doors and windows were closed and the sleeping area had no other means of ventilation.
“Neither the guidance for the installation of gas appliances on board the small fishing vessels nor the cooker manufacturer’s instructions had been followed when the cooker was fitted.”
The MAIB has made several recommendations to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency to ensure that accommodation areas on such vessels are fitted with carbon monoxide alarms.
They have also made recommendations to the Sea Fish Industry Authority to raise general awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide.
Both men had been fishermen since leaving school and had completed training on fire and safety.